Democrats suffered a loss of seats to Republicans in both chambers as a result of last week’s General Assembly elections.
The final results indicate a loss of three Senate seats and a net loss of seven House Seats (Democrats won four and lost eleven races in which party seats were changed).
The final result yielded a reduced Democratic majority of 79-72 in the House while the Senate results ended with an 18-18 tie. Before the elections, Democrats held an 86-65 House majority and a 21-15 advantage in the Senate.
The Senate tie still leaves Democrats with a slight edge as any tie votes are broken by the Lieutenant Governor, in this case Nancy Wyman, a Democrat.
The three Senate seats lost by Democrats were:
- Senate District 13: Len Suzio-R defeated incumbent Dante Bartolomeo -D.
- Senate 18: George Logan -R defeated incumbent Joseph Crisco -D.
- Senate 19: Heather Somers-R defeated her opponent Tim Bowles-D for the seat vacated by the retirement of Andrew Maynard-D.
The four House seats moved to Democrats were:
- District 40: Christine Conley-D defeated incumbent John Scott-R.
- District 41: Joseph de la Cruz- D defeated incumbent Aundre Bumgardner-R.
- District 50: Patrick Boyd-D defeated Nora Valentine-R in an open seat vacated by Mike Alberts-R.
- District 103: Liz Linehan-D defeated Andrew Falvey-R in an open seat vacated by Al Adinolfi-R.
The eleven seats taken from Democrats by Republicans were:
- District 22: William Petit-R defeated incumbent Betty Boukus-D.
- District 36: Robert Siegrist-R defeated incumbent Phil Miller-D.
- District 37: Holly Cheeseman-R defeated Beth Hogan-D in an open seat vacated by Ed Jutila-D.
- District 44: Anne Dauphinais-R defeated incumbent Christine Randall-D.
- District 45: Kevin Skulczyck-R defeated Tracey Hanson-D in an open seat vacated by Paul Brycki-D.
- District 59: Carol Hall-R defeated Anthony DiPace-D in an open seat vacated by David Kiner-D.
- District 60: Scott-Storms-R defeated Timothy Curtis-D in a seat vacated by Peggy Sayers-D.
- District 64: Brian Ohler-R defeated William Riiska-D in a seat vacated by Roberta Willis-D.
- District 81: John Fusco-R defeated incumbent David Zoni-D.
- District 90: Craig Fishbein-R defeated Patrick Reynolds-D in a seat vacated by Mary Fritz-D.
- District 105: Nicole Klarides-Ditra-R defeated incumbent Theresa Conroy-D.
Click here to see towns associated with these districts.